Sunday, June 7, 2009

Mental Self-Care

Mental self-care involves stimulating your mind in ways that make you reach, grow, and develop. And it also means relaxing your mind in equal measure.

My personal routine consists of a day of seeing coaching clients ending with an hour of my favorite television show, Reba. I stretch my mind in order to assist clients who are longing to create sacred spaces and relationships, then I spend an hour laughing my behind off at the antics of Reba’s loving, dysfunctional
family.

Another way to take care of your mental health is to read books or magazines that make you think and argue and learn, interspersed with absorbing novels that don’t force you to think about anything except the next belly laugh.

Getting out of a rut that you my not have even realized you were in is another mental exercise. Take a different route to work. Buy a shirt in a color you would normally pass right by on the rack. Even figuring out what mental self-care means to you is a form of mental self-care! You have to engage your mind to figure out what works.

Your ‘call to action’: spend some time in the next couple of weeks experimenting with the concept of mental self-care. What stimulates you, makes you think, challenges your set ideas? What combination of working and resting your brain provides you with maximum mental self-care?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I KNEW Harry Potter was good for me! Now I can look forward to the new Harry Potter movie next month as a way of taking care of my brain. Thanks, Annie!

Judi said...

I like to do the daily Crickler puzzle and read the funnies (at Seattle Times). Funny, I have to read an on-line paper on the other side of the continent to do that...

Let's have a movie night to see Harry Potter! Getting together with like-minded women helps my brain!